Dear Young Engaged Man,
Do not be tricked into thinking that your real spiritual life begins the day of your wedding. I know this may sound bizarre when I vocalize it, but the thought may have already sneaked into your subconscious.
You might unknowingly believe the lie that you will be super spiritual after you married. You may be deceived into thinking that your big sins now will simply become small sins later. You may be delusional and find yourself fantasizing about spiritual heights in your marriage simply because you are married. Marriage is not a magic wand for making sin disappear. The reality is that spiritual maturity is hard work that begins now. Set spiritual goals for your marriage and desire to be the spiritual head of your family. But if you are not pursuing these goals now, do not expect the marriage vows to be a five hour spiritual energy drink.
Your spiritual maturity in marriage begins by pursuing Jesus now. Do not wait until she walks down the aisle. You should be on your knees at the alter seeking the face of the Lord long before that day. Pursue Him before you pursue her.
I am convicted as I write this to you. So let us run the race now. Looking unto Jesus the author and the finisher of our faith.
In in less than 100 days, I’m going to marry the love of my life: Jennifer Whiteaker. Last year for Valentines Day I wrote out the top 25 reasons why I was attracted to Jennifer Whiteaker. Every day leading up to Valentines Day I would hide an envelope with one reason written in it. I would let her discover a new one each day.
Jennifer is the embodiment of the Proverbs 31 woman and I can say that a mere 25 reasons does not do her justice. She is my precious treasure and I am looking forward to spending the rest of my days with her. If she knew I was posting this, she would want me to say that the only reason I am attracted to her is because of Jesus. To which I would respond, “See, now there are 26 reasons.”
- You hold me loosely.
- His name and renown is the desire of your soul
- You humbly submit to your Savior.
- You become less and He becomes more.
- You receive the rain of the Spirit and He adorns your soul with beautiful blossoms
- Proverbs 31:14
- The Word of Christ dwells in you richly
- You laugh loud and are serious about service
- You become undignified in your worship
- Adventure is your middle name
- Your beautiful brown eyes let me see your precious heart
- You dress like a daughter of God
- You look out for those who have not been noticed
- The teaching of kindness is on your lips
- You fear God and not man’s opinion.
- You are a visible picture of Jesus’ words “blessed are the meek”
- You repent of sin when convicted.
- You hate evil and love good.
- Your songs flow from a gospel filled heart.
- You give knowing your possessions are in heaven.
- You splash your surrounding with spontaneous expressions of glee
- Encouragement is the bread you bake
- Your eye lashes flutter like the flowing wings of a pure feathered flamingo.
- You boldly approach the throne of God in prayer.
- You find your identity and worth in the gospel.